Shaw Media’s Kendall County Record group, four hyperlocal weeklies covering news, sports and features in Kendall County, Ill.
July 2015-present: Production editor (based at Crystal Lake office)
• Manage production for the four papers (comprising four main news/sports sections and one features insert), ensuring all deadlines are met each week.
• Design 75-100 tabloid-size pages per week, adhering to Shaw Media style.
• Send digital page files to remote prepress department for printing, and send copies of files for e-edition processing.
• Publish content to the KendallCountyNow.com website, focusing on SEO best practices in headlines and copy.
• Communicate via phone and email with editors at Yorkville office to coordinate production process and fulfill requests on the design of the papers.
• Help the Shaw Media night production desk with page design and proofing for the news, sports and features sections when needed.
• Manage one direct report, communicating on plan of attack for the papers on a daily and weekly basis, as well as style and design direction.
• Helped direct improvements to the KendallCountyNow.com website, requesting the addition of subsections to correspond with various features from the print edition.
• Created house ads to promote our email newsletter and the Kendall County NOW smartphone app.
Shaw Media’s Crystal Lake, Ill., copy desk, a group responsible for copy editing and production of five dailies and multiple special section projects.
December 2013–July 2015: Assistant night production editor
• Managed a copy desk staff of 7-12 people on days when the night production editor was not working.
• Helped train new employees on Shaw Media technology, style and policies.
• Created how-to guides for doing Photoshop cutouts and for processing obituaries.
• Designed A1s for the (Crystal Lake) Northwest Herald, The (Joliet) Herald-News, the (DeKalb County, Ill.) Daily Chronicle or the Kane County Chronicle as needed.
• Read local and wire copy for multiple newspapers.
• Proofed pages for news, sports, opinion, business and features sections.
• Designed local and wire news pages, tailoring wire story selection and play to reflect market interests for each paper. (Usually 5-8 broadsheet pages or 12-15 tab pages per day.)
• Created graphic illustrations and infographics.
• Posted stories and images to the papers’ websites, writing web-friendly display type and choosing photos that will play well at web size.
• Worked over the phone and by email with external customers to help them place or revise obituaries.
August 2011–December 2013: Copy editor and page designer
Media General’s Lynchburg Consolidated Editing Center, a group responsible for copy editing and production of seven dailies and multiple weeklies and special section projects.
December 2010–July 2011: Team leader, Northern Virginia/Culpeper copy editing team
• Managed a team of five copy editors primarily working on the (Manassas, Va.) News & Messenger and the Culpeper (Va.) Star-Exponent.
• Designed A1s for the News & Messenger.
• Created infographics.
• Worked with home editors on production goals and newspaper appearance for the News & Messenger and Star-Exponent.
June 2009–November 2010: Copy editor
The Daily Herald, a Chicago-area newspaper that covers several northern Illinois counties, metropolitan Chicago, and state and national news.
May 2008–August 2008, December 2008: Copy desk intern
The Daily Eastern News, Eastern Illinois University’s daily school paper.
August 2008–May 2009: Multimedia reporter
• Collected and edited audio and video for multimedia packages.
• Copy edited for Web and posted articles to the DEN’s website.
January 2008–May 2008: Lead page designer and copy editor
August 2007–December 2007: Managing editor
Eastern Illinois University
• Bachelor’s degree: journalism major and anthropology minor.
• AP style
• Quark XPress
• Workflow software including APT Falcon, SaxoPress, Roxen
• Web-posting content management systems including WordPress
• HTML and CSS (basic skills)